Every foreign language is tough on its own, without even mentioning the pronunciation. When speaking about the French language, having a huge vocabulary may not mean anything if there is no good French pronunciation. Whether it's reading or speaking the words correctly, knowing how to 'talk the talk' in the right accent demands commitment.
French pronunciation is not easy, particularly not with all the silent letters, multiple sounds for a single letter and many variations to the established phonetic rules. There are letters that have two or more sounds, letter combinations that sound different in every use, certain French accents as well as French phonetic symbols which can be found in dictionaries.
But what is the best way to effectively master your French pronunciation? We are sharing some of the best tips below:
1. Listen To Everything In French - The more you listen and adapt your tongue to French, the better and more nature you will sound when reading or speaking out loud.
2. Listen And Repeat - Practice makes perfect, and repeating lessons, sentences and other verbal forms of French is the best way to develop your pronunciation skills in French.
3. Record Yourself - It may sound funny, but recording yourself while repeating will let you see your actual French pronunciation instead of only repeating it without purpose.
4. Read Out Loud - If you are still uncomfortable with all the French words and phrases, maybe your tongue could use some training by reading out loud.
5. Online Pronunciation Tools - Nowadays, we have instant access to everything - so why not use French pronunciation tools online, listen to native French speakers and finally get the hang of it?
Just like the alphabet or most commons expressions, working the basic French sounds is actually a very effective way to drastically improve your French skills. Good news : we have prepared for you an extensive list of such French syllables and sounds, starting with the French vowels. So read below or just follow the previous link.
FRENCH VOWELS TO BE LISTED !!!!!!!!!!!!
In the end, saying the words correctly and being confident when speaking is what your French pronunciation should be all about. Having a huge vocabulary is not enough - especially if you don't know how to use it, right?
Learn to speak and master French pronunciations with style - with French Maestro!
Source : French sounds on wikipedia
Born in Paris where he has spent more than 30 years, Yannick is a French native speaker now based in Ireland. His interest in learning foreign languages comes from his Italian grand-father, his Spanish wife and his Japanese sister-in-law. Teaching French has been a passion since his early twenties when he spent countless hours exchanging with international students.